Contact me

makaylathomas1970@gmail.com

Mailing details provided upon request.

Follow by Email

Friday, September 7, 2012

Interview: Gemma Parkes


When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

Well, like most writers, writing is in my blood. I have always written down my emotions, usually in the form of poetry. Sometimes this is easier than talking to someone. I always wanted to have something I’d written published, but only seriously attempted to do that early last year.

How long does it take you to write a book?

Not as long as it takes me to edit it! A lot of my earlier stories were very short and were written in a couple of days. The novellas obviously take longer; l think if l was to add up the hours spent actually writing it might not be that long. Once l start and if l have no interruptions, l can write around 2000 words before taking a break. That might take anything between one hour and two. So a novella of around 20,000 words in itself doesn’t take too many hours. The problem we all find of course is that days may be missed out as we are busy doing other things. I try to set myself a target of one –two months to finish something of that length. The editing (which l do myself on my self pub books) takes up the bulk of that time because l pick it to bits, change phrases etc. I am never really happy with my first chapter which is a shame as we all know the importance of that!

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

I always have a head full of ideas but l try to focus on the one in hand until it’s finished before l go on to the next one. These ideas can be based around my sexual fantasies or emotional journeys. I am a very passionate person who feels things deeply. I love with all my heart and am very sensual. But l often research information on the web to try to make the book more realistic. For example, in ‘Making Waves’ l researched information about sex therapists, what sort of questions they might ask and what their responses were likely to be. And although Craig is very unorthodox in my story l wanted to make it seem as though it would be possible for someone to branch off on his own tangent and use his own, in this case bizarre, methods to help people.  
In ‘Her Master’s Dungeon’ my couple use a pillory device for sexual games. I really needed to research these and make sure they could be adjusted to the height l needed to make my story believable. With all writing there needs to be research of one kind or another, even if it’s just trying out sexual positions to see if they’re possible!

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I’ve always considered myself a writer because l write profusely. I just have to write about everything all the time. But l first considered myself an author when l was published and, more importantly, selling my books regularly on well known sites.


Do you have a specific writing style?
I think l inject a little humour into every story, albeit subtle. I don’t do that intentionally but l laugh a lot and do tend to find humour in most things. I don’t know what others might say about my style, but if it’s not complimentary I’d rather not know!

How did you come up with the title?
‘Making Waves’ was a working title that l kept through to the end. It just seemed to suit the story so well with its double meaning reflecting the turbulence caused when someone wants to break free along with the seaside town setting. In general though, l find coming up with a title really hard and l have never kept a working title before. I write many of my ideas for possible titles down or text them in big lists to my closest friend. Then l get texts back saying, keep trying! I feel it’s really important to get it right so l normally agonise about it for days on end.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
I just want readers to enjoy my stories and take from them whatever they want to. I am not conveying messages but it does bother me if something has been misinterpreted or missed altogether. In this particular novella l want people to understand the ending which has an unexpected twist at the end. I don’t want to spoil the ending here for anyone wishing to read it, but basically all is not as it seems!

How much of the book is realistic?
The emotions are real. As is the sexual fantasy l have described in great detail! ‘Making Waves’ is set in a fictitious village but the island Mandy looks out over is loosely based on ‘Brownsea island’ in Dorset. I used to look across at the old house on that small island years ago when l drank in a bar in Poole. I used to imagine what it would be like to live there. Mandy’s thoughts as she looks at it from a distance, are mine.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Actually finding the time to write it. It is difficult to discipline yourself to stay in one place for an hour or so and just write, not answer the phone or get up to load the washing machine or switch the oven on. I can set time aside to write, but unfortunately, not every day.


Can you share a little of your current work with us?
Excerpt:
“What gets you there Mandy?” Craig continued, “What is it that tips you over the edge and causes your orgasm? Is it an image, a thought? Or is it purely the action of your fingers or favourite sex toy? Tell me, l will close my eyes and listen to you without further questions. Please try your best to describe fully your masturbation techniques.”
With that Craig lay back into his soft leather chair and closed his eyes. Mandy listened to his breathing and then to her own. She looked around the little room for any sign of hidden cameras or microphones. The soft music began to relax her and gradually she closed her eyes and thought about nothing for awhile and then how sad and unfulfilled she was, and finally, slowly, in the dark relaxing environment of Craig’s office she began thinking about sex and the fantasies she had when she was all alone. The music was barely audible but it seemed to provide a backdrop to the scene beginning to play out in her mind. Tentatively she decided to share her fantasies:
 “I think about things first, all sorts of things. Dark rooms like this one silence and comfort. But mostly l think about having sex. As my body starts to respond to that thought and l begin to become aroused… l touch myself” Mandy paused, her breathing was already deep and she was half expecting Craig to go back on his word and push her for details. He didn’t. Slowly she continued.
“I wait until l can be alone and then l remove as many of my clothes as l have time to do. I like to stroke my breasts after l have released them and enjoy the way the nipples harden under my fingers. I pinch them to make them hurt and then l imagine someone is telling me what to do. I can’t see his face but l know l must do as he says, l want to do as he says. There are two men in the room and I am lying down in front of them. Sometimes it’s on a bed, sometimes a soft carpet. I stroke my stomach with light gentle fingers and raise my hips all the time thinking there is someone else there, someone is watching me. I part my legs wide and love the feeling of exposure this gives me. My hands slide down my body across my pubic bone and between my legs until l can feel the creamy liquid gathering at my sex. I begin to move my fingers in and out of my pussy, very slowly at first. One of the men is silent, watching me with dark, intent eyes. The other is telling me what to do. He says that l am beautiful and sexy. He wants to watch the pleasure on my face and the way l explore myself.
One of the men begins to caress my mouth and opens it with his fingers preparing it for his…cock.”
Mandy shifted in her seat, she was becoming aroused by her own story, the room was warm and relaxing and her breathing was noisy and shallow. Her body throbbed with recognition of the scene she had played out so very many times before. Her mind was a powerful aphrodisiac as she knew so well, a part of her wanted to stop talking and give in to her body’s needs but she couldn’t. She could sense the two men, almost feel them watching her. Just waiting for her to give them what they also needed, the sight of Mandy pleasuring herself. These two men would please her; take her towards a release that would rock her body.
“I open my mouth,” she started again her voice small but husky. “So that he can put himself inside me, he is hard and thick leaking juices from his swollen glans as he slides along my tongue and fills me. I’m throbbing as l think of him and my fingers begin working faster. I imagine being turned over and having my hips held firmly as the second man enters my waiting pussy.”
Mandy lay back on the couch and opened her legs slightly. She dropped one hand down to press firmly against her now throbbing clit. Her eyes were tight shut; she could only see the navel in her minds eye of the man who was taking her mouth.
“I have both men inside me,” she stutters, “I can feel their hardness, feel my body respond. I am wet and swollen, pushing up my rear to meet the long, slow thrusts from the lover behind me. My hair is held by the man in front as he slides himself more urgently along my tongue. I can see him, taste him. He is sweating and grunting as he pushes back and forth inside me.”

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
The trouble is every time l edit a chapter l agonise over every sentence, could l have phrased it better? Should l have extended it? Etc. Eventually l have to just let it go otherwise l would never be happy and my books would never be released. But yes, there is always something l think about afterwards. With this one, it could have been longer.

What are your current projects?
Alongside the release of ‘Making Waves’ an anthology was released by Yellow silk Dreams called ‘Behind Stone Walls.’ I have a story included in that called ‘Scarlet’ which l have been featuring in weekly excerpts on my blog. I also have a new Novella coming out next month with Rebel Ink Press called ‘Pleasing Mia’; I’m really looking forward to that!

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Don’t give up. If writing is in your blood and it is what you ultimately want to do, keep at it. Like everything else in life it’s a learning curve and you will make mistakes. On top of that there will always be people who misinterpret your writing or criticise it. Just take a deep breath and carry on, this is a tough business but the reward is seeing your ideas, your imagination, being enjoyed by other people and what a huge thrill that is!

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Thank you for all your support and for your positive comments. I really want you to enjoy my stories and l will do my best to make that happen. Happy reading!


Blurb:

This story contains explicit sex and is not suitable for anyone under the age of 18.

Mandy knew that it would take more than a short holiday to a quiet seaside town to turn her struggling relationship with long time partner John into one of passion and honesty. But when help and advice was offered from a voyeuristic stranger by dubious means, it opened the floodgates to her inner desires and darkest fantasies

            http://amzn.to/KWRPtY

 Twitter: @gemmapar




3 comments:

  1. This is so cool. I am such a huge fan of their work. I really am impressed with how much you have worked to make this website so enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview which gives a great insight into the mindset of the writer. I have read lots of Gemma's work and have always found it delightful in it's wickedness and also very sensual.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for having me over today Mikayla, it was fun! 'Pleasing Mia' is now available to purchase also, so it's all go at my end!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my review/blog post. I love hearing from you.