Contact me

makaylathomas1970@gmail.com

Mailing details provided upon request.

Follow by Email

Monday, September 10, 2012

Interview: Kiki Howell


Tell us your latest news? My newest release is a novella which was inspired by a piece of flash fiction I wrote as a writing challenge. The Black Ops (Paranormal) CIA group in the flash inspired a whole story with all of the previous characters from the flash showing up as supporting characters in the novella. The novella is called Mystical Mayhem. In it I created two paranormal characters that I have never written before: a chimera and a Native American woman with a Dragon Spirit. It’s very different, and I’m very excited about it.  Here’s the blurb:
Mystical Mayhem Blurb:
When rogue shifters capture Aiyanna, a Native American Indian with a Dragon Spirit, she finds herself tied to the wall of a cave, about to be the sacrifice in their twisted sex ritual. Their intention is to conceive another Chimera, the legendary paranormal superman of Alaska. What the group didn’t plan for is the real Chimera, Xander, coming to their sacrifice’s rescue.
In this world gone mad, where paranormal creatures who once lived secretly on the fringes of society are currently joining together for evil purposes, indecision reigns. As lines are drawn, war ensues and personal struggles mount, Xander is called to join a Special Activities Division of the CIA. Decisions must be made even as the mystical mayhem continues around them.
Who designed the covers? An absolute cover genius!!! His name is Shane Willis (http://www.radactphoto.com) I knew my characters were different, as I said, and he did an amazing job of depisting the female with the dragon spirit by wrapping a dragon around her on the cover.
What would you say is your interesting writing quirk? Sex magick creeps into most of my stories! LOL I write a lot of stories with magical elements, and even when not inteneded in the plot, a good spell powered by sex magick just seems to…well…happen *winks*
What do you like to do when you're not writing? Spend time with my family, mostly. I’m a TV watcher, shows like Supernatural, True Blood, Vampire Diaries and such. Of course, mostly the guys in the house have the remote, so I watch a lot of sports, Jackass and Storage Wars. I spend a lot of time knitting while watching their TV shows ;)
How many books have you written? Which is your favorite? I’ve actually had published over 30 stories now if you count the shorts in anthologies. My favorite, hmmm, that would be so hard to pick. Can I do top 3? LOL In order of date released: Torn Asunder (paranormal, regency, erotic romance novel), At War in the Willlows (a three book paranormal, erotic, romantic suspense series), and Hidden Salem (my first mainstream novel which releases in October 2012).
What inspired you to write your first book? I was looking at publishers call for submission, and loved the idea of a celtic, erotic romance series.
What book are you reading now? I’m reading ALCHEMYSTIC by Anton Strout which I am reviewing for Suspense Magazine.
Do you recall how your interest in writing originated? Yes. Even as a kid, in my head, I would rewrite stories and movies, even TV shows, to go the way I wanted them to. Eventually, somewhere in the teen years, I decided to try to write a story myself.
What genre do you consider your book(s)? I guess I’m first and for most a paranormal writer. Although I try a lot of different paranormal creatures, I stick pretty close to witches. Beyond that, I write romance, and mostly of the steamy persuasion.  Past that, I have tried my hand at many different genres from historical to steampunk and horror…
What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? That I write too literary. I went to college to be an English teacher, and I love the older style of writing. But, early reviews complained about the language I loved to play with so much, claiming the stories had to be read slow.
What has been the best compliment?  My best compliments have come in reviews, three actually.
The first two because they were just the best compliments I could get about my works.
"Kiki’s use of words and descriptions is indescribable and weaves a kind of magic around the reader." -ParaNormal Romance Reviews about The Healing Spell
"Kiki has such a way of extracting deep feelings from her readers. She has such a handle on peoples emotions you would almost swear it was an otherworldly talent." ~ Raquel Vega-Grieder aboutWorking Out The Kinks
The last one was because the review came from an author that I have read for a long time. It still blows me away that she read my story and liked it. And, no, we are of no relation to each other. I was reading Hannah Howell when my last name was still Quinn J
Kiki Howell spins a wonderful tale of passion, magic, betrayal, and a love that conquers all. Enjoy."  ~NY Times Bestselling Author, Hannah Howell

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Ever since she was young, Kiki Howell has loved to listen to a well-woven tale with real characters, inspired plots, and delightful resolutions. Kiki could spend hours lost in a book, and soon she knew that creating lives, loves, and losses with just words had to be the greatest thing that she could do. To that end, she pursued her study of literature and writing, earning a bachelor’s degree in English. She then followed in a Master’s program in Creative Writing.
“After a long break having my boys, I finally just had to write again. And, as soon as I gave the stories the space, they entered it. It’s both awesome and humbling to find the words in my mind become characters on a page and create their lives.”
She has now had over twenty stories published between seven different small presses.  She could not be more thrilled or grateful to see her creations polished and out in the real world. In May, 2011, Kiki was chosen as an Ohioana Book Festival author for her novel, Torn Asunder. 
Kiki resides in the Midwest with her incredibly handsome and talented, singer/songwriter husband and two children. When she is not writing, she is either spending time with her family, reading, baking, or knitting. Her biggest dream is to have a novel she writes be made into a movie that her husband creates the soundtrack for, and then cruise to Alaska with her family on the money they make.
You can visit Kiki at http://www.kikihowell.com, http://www.facebook.com/kikihowell, or http://pinterest.com/kikiahowell/# to name a few places she hangs out on a regular basis.  Although, a bit of caution, most of her stories tend to hang out on the graphically, sexy side of town.

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my review/blog post. I love hearing from you.