Contact me

makaylathomas1970@gmail.com

Mailing details provided upon request.

Follow by Email

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Interview: Morticia Knight


When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

When I spent many long, lonely hours as a kid making up stories. No other kids were around! I would draw pages of pictures, and then add the cartoon balloons for dialogue. I never realized not having siblings my age would help spawn a future career.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

If I’m deep into a deadline – self-imposed or otherwise – I will take an actual entire day, lock myself in a room, and write until I can’t see straight. I would love to be able to do that more often, but my family has this odd habit where they want to eat every day. Sometimes more than once!

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

I always have to have multiple types of liquid refreshment. No booze – at least not yet. But I will make coffee and have that to my right, and a cup of ice water to the left, and then I may change it up to tea later on. I think it’s a way to keep the blood flowing; I’m constantly getting up to pour more coffee, or prepare another drink. It keeps my butt from falling asleep.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

I sort of free associate. If I’m driving for awhile, or as I’m falling asleep – I let my mind drift from one thing to the next. Sometimes it can be something someone said, a weird news story, or a twist on a classic tale. I’ll all of a sudden go, “Hmmm…I wonder what would happen if?”

What do you think makes a good story?

Characters that people can become emotionally involved in that find themselves in a predicament of some sort. I was honestly surprised to find myself getting so attached to some of my characters. If they are real to me, I believe I stand a much better chance of them being real to my readers.

Tell us your latest news?
My first release from Total-E-Bound Publishing is coming out May 7th. I have s tory in their ménage anthology All Together Now called “The Perfect Third”. I am so honored to be a part of the TEB family; they have a great group of authors.
How did you come up with the title?
Since it is a ménage romance, I wanted to indicate that there were three people involved, but it is also a reference to the fact that the two men are musicians.
What book are you reading now?
I always have several things going at once. I’m eclectic in everything, so I havet o be in a certain mood for certain things. So right now I am reading Petals on the Wind – the sequel to Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews, Fall to Pieces – a memoir by Mary Weiland (wife of Stone Temple Pilots lead singer, Scott Weiland), and the first title in Elizabeth Hoyt’s Soldiers Series. Something about tasting temptation – lol.
Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Finding enough time to devote to it. As a writer, you really have to make yourself come up with the time. I have a family, and a day job, so I can’t indulge in my passion as much as I’d like. I also need to be fair with my family in allocating my time. It’s all about balance baby! But I found that once I determined that the writing would be just as integral a part of my life as anything else, I was able to devote time to it consistently. Sleep, not so much…

Can you share a little of your current work with us?
Sure! Here is a PG rated excerpt when Alexa first lays eyes on one of the handsome hunks in “The Perfect Third”.
“That was an awesome film,” gushed Jill as they got out of the taxi to go into the after-party.
“Yeah, it was okay,” responded Alexa.
She nervously gathered her coat about her and adjusted her red silk cocktail dress that she had spent way too much money on. She felt ridiculously out of place among so many celebrities and the whole film world in general. It didn’t help that she had been stressing about this party throughout the whole movie. She had put too much emphasis on a silly party where she’d know no one except for her friend, who was already trolling the surroundings for a hot guy. Alexa checked to make sure she had enough cash for a taxi home; she could already see where this evening was headed.
They approached the new, trendy restaurant that had been taken over for the evening, and gave their names to the attendant at the door. After checking his list, the tall, impeccably dressed man undid the rope and let them pass, eyeing them up and down like they were prize cattle. Alexa realised at that second that she was not cut out for the meat-market lifestyle. She wanted an erotically charged lover, but she didn’t want to have to go through this leer-fest to get there.
Once inside, however, she decided she didn’t have to worry. There were so many gorgeous females dressed to the teeth in hot designer outfits with amazing bodies, she doubted any man would even glance at her. She drank in the sights and sounds of the rich and successful, all glorying in their latest triumph, while the rest of the party-goers did their best to absorb what they could by basking nearby.
As one of the designated baskers, Alexa turned to comment to Jill that the opulent gold filigree decor was a bit much, and discovered her friend was nowhere in sight. Instead, she locked eyes with the most glorious hunk of male flesh she’d ever had the chance to see this up close and personal. Like a blond Adonis, he was tall, with blue eyes and an obviously muscular frame that was being held at bay by his tuxedo. Alexa couldn’t believe such a creature stood next to her. His eyes lit up as he gazed down at her, and she noticed he took a quick peek at her neckline before looking back up. Alexa flushed, silently thanking the garish restaurant for having the wisdom to install dim lighting, and she smiled what she hoped was not too brazen a smile.
“How lovely,” she thought she heard the Adonis say.
“I’m sorry?” she said. The laughter, chatter and live blues band were making it almost impossible for her to hear.
He leaned in closer to her and she caught her breath as she felt his warmth near her ear.
“My name is Lorne.”


If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
We did have to cut one entire hot scene due to space restrictions in the anthology. But I figure I can include it on my blog as an “outtake”!
What are your current projects?
I just had an M/M/F ghost story accepted at Total-E-Bound, so I’m very excited about that. I’m also working on a 3 book series of novella length stories that focus on men in uniform. Yum!
Do you have any advice for other writers?
Keep writing. That may sound obvious, but seriously, the more you write - and I mean consistently log in those hours upon hours – the better you will get at your craft, and allow your unique and fresh voice to evolve. I don’t think anyone who is trying to win the Olympics would honestly believe they had the chance at the gold if they went and practiced their sport one hour a week. You have to take it seriously.
Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
I hope you enjoy reading these stories as much as I enjoy writing them. If there is a character that you would like to know more about – let me know! Maybe I’ll write them their own special story ;-)
Blurb for “The Perfect Third”:
Sexy young Alexa is single in New York. But she doesn’t want to date any more of the stuffy men she meets through her job at the law firm—she needs some excitement. When she meets hunky Lorne, a film score composer, at a premiere after-party, she can’t believe her luck when he asks her out.

After an incredibly hot night of sex, when it seems that this is just the relationship she’s been waiting for, things inexplicably cool down. Does his best friend and roommate, the dangerously handsome Antony, have anything to do with it? One night the truth of Lorne and Antony’s relationship is revealed to Alexa, and she has a difficult choice to make. Is she willing to just let go and become their perfect third?

Buy link:
Morticia Knight Blog: www.morticiaknight.blogspot.com
Twitter: @morticiaknight


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my review/blog post. I love hearing from you.