Contact me

makaylathomas1970@gmail.com

Mailing details provided upon request.

Follow by Email

Monday, October 15, 2012

Interview: Kay Glass


When and why did you begin writing? I was on the phone with a friend and we were discussing our favorite paranormal books. I said, "Wouldn't it be cool if…" And the next thing I know, I was sitting down working on Love Bite.

Do you see writing as a career? Absolutely! I've been a stay-at-home mom, and with my youngest starting kindergarten this year, I'll be able to devote even more time to writing. My husband works hard to support us so I can stay home and concentrate on my work.

Who designed the covers? With the exception of the original cover for Love Bite, I've done all of my covers myself. I've also redone the cover of Love Bite and rereleased it, so everything I have published at the moment has cover art I've done myself.

How long does it take you to write a book? It definitely varies! Love Bite was written almost entirely longhand so it took me from June 2011 until February 2012 to finish it, but Bitten by Regret, the second in the series, took only 6 weeks. I'd say my usual time is 2-3 months, depending on how many projects I'm working on at once.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk? I can't write without my earbuds and mp3 player! When I was without them for a few weeks I struggled to get anything written, and 500 words was a good day. The day I bought a new set of earbuds I cracked out 3500+ words. I just can't write without my music.

Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they? Don't stop writing. No matter what anyone says, no matter what comments you may get, keep writing. And if you go the indie route, don't be afraid to go back, edit your work again, and rerelease it. Because as your writing grows, you may not like your first efforts as much as you once did.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing? Editing! I hate editing, but it's a necessary evil. By the time I'm done writing my story, I'm over it and ready to move on. Going back and editing makes me itchy!

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? I learned I wasn't a one-trick pony! I had more tales to tell. And the more I write, the more ideas I come up with for future ideas. Now I have to carry a notebook with me to keep track when I'm out and about.

Do you write an outline before every book you write? Not at all! Honestly, most of the time I just wing it. Sometimes I jot down a storyline, or random plot ideas I want to throw in the mix, but usually I sit down and the characters write their own stories, regardless of what I might want.

Do you ever experience writer's block? Occasionally it happens, and that's usually when I design my covers. I get so involved in the designing that the writer's block disappears by the time I'm finished. I also find it helpful to work on more than one project at a time, so when I'm in need of a break I move onto something different.

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment? I had one reader call my books flat and one-dimensional. That was tough, because my characters are very real to me when I'm writing them. It was almost like having someone criticize my children. And the best compliment? I can't pick just one! It's a huge compliment to me every time an author I admire considers me a peer. I like hanging with the big dogs!


Blurb:

Diandra Malone is only 28 years old when her life changes forever. Years of infertility left her depressed, but she's finally pregnant. Before she has a chance to process the news, she finds out her husband has been brutally murdered.

Lizbeth Snyder was a cop before she was framed for a crime she didn't commit and kicked off the force. Living a desperate life on the streets, salvation comes from the oddest direction: the finding of Jonah Malone's body.

Now she's living a wonderful life with Diandra and baby RaeLynn. The downside? Diandra is a vampire, and Lizbeth is being hunted by a different, very dangerous vampire- dangerous, and held in high esteem in the community. What will the future bring for these women, and how will Diandra handle her new vampire life? Find out how life changes with just one bite...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my review/blog post. I love hearing from you.