Contact me

makaylathomas1970@gmail.com

Mailing details provided upon request.

Follow by Email

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Interview: Rachel Cron


Can you share a little of your current work with us?
My current book: Warrior's Home is the story of Abigail and Riley. Abigail hasn't had the best life and Riley finds her, quite by accident, at her lowest point yet. The team faces some new challenges in this book and I also gave a few little hints to plots for future books in the series.
Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Thank you! Now that I've said it, it doesn't seem to be enough. I love my readers, they are always in the back of my mind when I write. I started writing for myself, it saved me at one point, but now? I share it with them, they make what I've written worth it in the end. They are everything to me and I will always be grateful that they were brave enough to take a peak inside my head.
What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
Gummy bears and marshmellows. When I write, I can't get enough. Sitting at my desk late at night with my little red lamp glowing and the house is quiet, all except for Bernie 'The Wheel man' Waterson on his hamster wheel running his little heart out. I write and eat gummy bears or marshmellows. I have no idea of why, I don't eat them any other time...only when I write.
What do you like to do when you're not writing?
Well, 19 years ago I met my husband at karaoke. We still go every now and again, when we have time. When I was a kid I used to love to roller skate. Our 7 year old loves it too so we all put our skates on and have a blast whenever we can. Our friends are en extension of our family. I don't know where I would be without my Woman or my Suzie Q or thing2 They are the sisters I never had. I try to spend as much time with them as possible.
Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
Everything in my books comes from some real life experience. I have had loved one afflicted by drug addiction and homelessness. I thought up Abby and the story shaped itself. When I write about things in my life it gives me a sense of closure. Old wounds heal and I find that through my characters I can see things in a different light.
What are your current projects?
I'm currentley working on the 4th and 5th books of the Warrior Series. I have some other books started that may or may not be released under a pen name. My focus now is getting Headcount Ent. through their latest adventure and shed some light on what I feel are extremely important topics that readers should think about. Hopefully some one will be helped by my trifle of an insite, or at least enjoy the read and have a better day.
As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
I still haven't firgured that out yet. I'm finally old enough to run for president, so we'll, see
Do you write an outline before every book you write?
No never. My father and Aunt were English teachers, they would probably die if they found out how I write. I just sit and write, or I'll be in the middle of something and get a story in my head, or a character. A conversation may start up and all of a sudden I get a feel for what they might look like or who they may be talking too and it snowballs from there. I can, and usually do write anywhere and everywhere. I daydream a lot and my brain seems incapable of shutting down.
What does your family think of your writing?
They are my biggest fans of all. My family is always there not only to support, but embarrase me at every turn. My girl friends cannot let anyone pass us on the street without pointing out that they should pick up my newest book. My husband is always the first person to read the finished manuscript before it goes to the publisher. I love them so much and they keep me sane and humble. I wouldn't trade any of them for anything.
What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?
Well, the greatest ones I have ever recieved are from the readers that love the books. I'm blown away when someone tells me that they loved it and can't wait for more. The tough ones, well, I don't dwell on the bad reviews or the negative comments. I will always write, have always written. I appreciate everyone's insight negative or positive. I absorb it all and try to learn from it.
STORY EXCERPT FROM WARRIOR'S HOME BY RACHEL CRON
She stilled, frozen with shock and fear. She looked around frantically, realizing she was the last girl standing. She relaxed marginally. Throwing down the gun, she sat on the ground trying desperately to fight the tears that she could feel welling up in her eyes. “This is no time for hysterics,” she hissed to herself.
Calming herself with some deep breaths, she cleared her mind. Her brain clamored for a plan. She knew what had to be done. It was just getting her legs to work that seemed to be the problem. She blew out a harsh breath and rose to her feet.
Her body moved mechanically. She searched each body carefully, stripping them of cash and assorted items she thought might be useful in the future. Some of Derek’s men she had known. It was slightly satisfying to see their corpses lying motionless in the dirt. She thought idly of how she had prayed for just this sight more than once. They were ruthless. Their philosophy was blood in, blood out. They knew the second they were patched into the club that only death would separate them from the gang. Well, they got their blood.
Abigail stripped a jacket off one of the detectives and slipped it on. It was getting cold, maybe even getting ready to snow. There was nothing worse than getting stuck out in the snow with no shelter to protect you. She had seen more than one person freeze to death from wind-chill alone.
The ribbon around her heart was tightening. She may have grown up on the streets, but she had compassion. It saddened her to see the officer’s dead. She thought of the families they may have left behind and the children they may never see grow up. She bent down to the last detective, the skinny one, and after emptying his pockets, she whispered, “I’m sorry. Thank you.”
Tucking the money and two pistols into her jeans, she bolted into the forest, running as fast as she could. She knew walking on the road was out. Someone would come looking for either the detectives or Derek’s men, and she had better not be anywhere near there when they did. All she hoped was that she could make it to a shelter of some sort before it got dark.
She ran until the cramping in her gut was so overwhelming she had no choice but to stop. The pain was almost crippling. She braced herself against a tree with the palm of her hand, bent down, and threw up the remainder of the sandwich from that morning. Standing up straight, she stretched her gaze towards the sky, instantly feeling better.
Damn! I wish I had wilderness skills. Her only experiences with the woods were the ones in Central Park. Not real helpful out here.
The sound of a gunshot wrenched her out of her thoughts and set her heart racing with panic. She froze for a split second and heard rustling in the distance. Someone’s coming. She ducked behind the tree. Pulling one of the guns from her jeans, she cocked it and poised herself, ready to shoot. She waited as the noise got louder.
Suddenly, a large black shadow flashed on the ground, too quick for her brain to process. Abigail fired off two rounds and fled in the opposite direction.
Racing through the woods, the only sound was the thud of whatever she shot as it hit the forest floor and the wind in her ears. Seconds passed and she heard a voice.
“Hey, stop!” he yelled at her and then she heard him running after her.
Blind panic and adrenaline flooded her system. She picked up speed and didn’t dare look back. I’m not going to die! Fuck no, not today, thank you kindly.
She never saw the ledge, until it was too late. Abigail came, or at least tried to come, to a complete stop on the edge of a small cliff. Teetering, she desperately fought to keep her balance and not fall over the edge. It wasn’t a long drop, maybe ten feet, but there were sharp rocks and a river below. Her foot slipped on the sod and she lost her fight.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my review/blog post. I love hearing from you.