Contact me

makaylathomas1970@gmail.com

Mailing details provided upon request.

Follow by Email

Friday, August 2, 2013

Book Review: Desiree



Summary from GoodReads: The stunning, massively bestselling story of Napoleon's first fiancé
First published in 1953, this riveting true-life tale comes to life in diary form, giving readers an inside glimpse at the young Napoleon and his family. Désirée is enchanted by the young officer, and he asks her to marry him. But he must leave for Paris, where he meets his eventual wife Josephine. A heartbroken Désirée is unsure she'll ever find anyone again. A love story, but so much more, Désirée is the tale of a simple merchant's daughter who ends up with a kind of royalty she never expected: an unforgettable story just waiting to be reborn.


My Review: I have to say that I fell in love with this book from the beginning pages. I can't tell you exactly what it was, but I was hooked. The story is simply captivating. 

I will admit that there are several POV changes...sometimes even several per chapter. But, I like this. I think writers too often fall into "it has to be just like this." This shows that even when what is often considered a taboo way to write, the book can still be wonderful. 

I found myself really drawn into the characters of this book and found myself visualizing all the wonderful descriptions, you fell like you're there. 

It's true that I'm a history buff, but this was so much more than historical. I think this is a great read for anyone who would like to read about a true love story and so much more.


RATING: 4/5

Pages: 591
Softcover

Review copy of this book provided by the author/publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review. In no way did the provision of the book affect the outcome of my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my review/blog post. I love hearing from you.